Dressing Up Dynamic Duos
1. Sonny and Cher:
- Sonny: Wear bell bottoms and a psychedelic button-down shirt and a jean vest. Add aviator sunglasses and wear a thick mustache or use face paint to draw one.
- Cher: The taller of the pair, Cher wears a slim-fitting maxi dress, a long, straight black wig and lots of eye makeup.
2. Old Couple:
- See “Old Geezer” and “Librarian” on the Miscellaneous Costumes page. Add grey hair spray to color hair for the librarian.
- Walk around together using your canes or ride in wheelchairs together.
3. Adam and Eve:
- Flesh-toned body suits: Place ivy leaves in the appropriate places.
- Create ivy leaf headpieces.
- Adam should carry a snake and Eve an apple.
4. Prisoner and Guard:
- Prisoner: Wear orange sweat pants and an orange sweat shirt. Write a series of numbers on the back of the sweat shirt with a marker or puffy paint. Handcuff your hands together with toy handcuffs.
- Guard: Wear dress pants and a white or khaki colored short-sleeved, button-down shirt. Create badges out of stiff paper and attach them to your shirt. Carry a nightstick or baton and wear aviator sunglasses.
5. Popeye and Olive Oyl:
- Popeye: Wear a navy button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up, jeans, brown shoes and a sailors hat (make from white construction paper). Draw anchor tattoos on your forearms.
- Olive Oyl: White button-down long-sleeved shirt with a red sweater over the shirt, make sure your shirt collar and sleeves stick out. Wear a long black skirt with a yellow stripe around the hem (attach a strip of yellow felt) and a pair of brown boots. Olive’s hair is dark and in a low pony-tail.
6. Ken and Barbie:
- Ken: Wear dress pants, a polo shirt, a sweater tied around your shoulders and dress shoes. Part your hair on the side and comb over.
- Barbie: Wear a blond, voluminous wig. Wear either a glamorous dress and heels or a pink beach or golf outfit and heels. See “Malibu Barbie” under Character Costume Ideas for more direction.
- Both Ken and Barbie, need to act perky and a little air headed.
- This can also be adapted to become GI Joe and Barbie. GI Joe dresses in army fatigues, boots and uses make up to dirty his face.
7. Peace and Quiet:
- Peace: Follow the directions under Miscellaneous Costume Ideas for “Hippie.”
- Quiet: Dress as a mime. Wear a black and white striped shirt, black pants, black dress socks, black dress shoes, suspenders, white gloves and white face makeup.
8. Peanut Butter and Jelly:
- One person wears all purple and one all brown.
- Cut large pieces of bread out of cardboard. Each person wears one slice of bread- put shoulder straps on the cardboard to wear it on your back or wear it around your neck with a string so it hangs in front.
- Couple must join together throughout the night to make a full sandwich.
9. Princess and the Pea:
- Princess: Wear an old prom dress or bridesmaid dress, heels and a tiara.
- Pea: Wear green sweat pants and a green shirt with the letter “P” attached to the shirt.
10. Mario and Luigi:
- Mario: Red long-sleeved shirt and overalls. Wear a red painters hat and attach to the center of the hat, a white felt circle with an “M” cut out of the circle. Finish the outfit off with white gloves and a mustache.
- Luigi: Duplicate Mario’s costume, but swap the red out for green (green long-sleeved shirt and a green painters hat with an “L” on it).
11. Peter Pan and Tinker Bell:
- Peter Pan: Wear green tights or spandex and a long green shirt with a jagged edge over the tights. Belt the t-shirt and wear a green pointy hat made from felt with a red feather sticking out from the brim. Wear moccisons and carry a sword.
- Tinkerbell: Wear a light green tube top or tank top and tuck into a light green tutu (you can make the skirt using tulle and elastic). Tinkerbell wears wings and styles her hair in a bun on the top of her head.
12. Aladdin and Jasmine:
- Aladdin: Wear billowy white pants that gather at the ankle and a brown scarf wrapped as a thick belt. Wear a small red cap, sandals, and carry a stuffed monkey with you.
- Jasmine: Wear billowy, light blue pants that gather at the ankle and a matching light blue, fitted crop top or bathing suit top. Jasmine wears her dark, thick hair in a braid so use a wig if needed. Create a light blue head band out of ribbon with a jewel in the center so that it rests at the top of your head. Carry a stuffed tiger.
13. John Smith and Pocahontas:
- Pocahontas: Wear a dress made of suede with lots of fringe. The dress might be hard to find, so make a skirt and tube top out of brown fabric if necessary. Wear mocassins and braided pigtails with a feather headband. Use red paint to draw a design around your arm.
- John Smith: Wear pants tucked into boots, a white shirt and blue vest. Carry around a fake shotgun.
14. Tarzan and Jane:
- Tarzan: Use faux fur to create a loin cloth. Add wristbands or ankle bands and a sash to go across your chest and over one shoulder. Tease your hair and wear a wreath of leaves around your head.
- Jane: Create a similar loin cloth out of faux fur for Jane. Add a bra by cutting a strip of fur, wrapping it around your chest and tying it in the back. Wear a necklace of leaves and a flower in your tousled hair.
15. Jon and Kate Gosselin:
- Jon: Wear a black graphic t-shirt (think Ed Hardy) and jeans. Spike your hair up and wear polarized sunglasses.
- Kate: Wear a basic t-shirt or button-down, jeans and heals. Wear a short blond wig with the back of the hair standing up and the front portion swept to the side and oversized sunglasses.
- Jon and Kate should carry around 8 baby-dolls, in backpacks, bags, their arms, etc.
16. Fred and Wilma Flintstone:
- See the directions for “caveman and cavewoman” Miscellaneous Costume Ideas.
- Fred dresses like a “caveman” and add a blue necktie.
- Wilma dresses in a white “cavewoman” outfit. Make a giant fake pearl necklace by stringing together styrofoam balls together. Wear your hair in a bun on top of your head and use colored hair spray to make your hair red.
17. Pebbles and Bam-Bam:
- Pebbles: Wear a green, loose-fitting tank-top with black triangles (cut from felt) glued all over the shirt and a pair of blue short, shorts (diaper). Wear your hair in a pony tail on the top of your head with a bone as a “bow”.
- Bam Bam: Wears an orange, animal print loin cloth and a brown sash over one shoulder attached at the loin cloth. Attach a bone (cut from felt) where the sash and loin cloth join. He also wars an orange animal print baseball cap and carries a club.
18. The Beauty and the Geek:
- One dresses like a “nerd” in Miscellaneous Costume Ideas.
- The other dresses glamorously in a sequined prom dress, gloves, and make-up.
- This is funny if the man is the “beauty” and the woman is the “geek.”